Tuesday, January 8, 2013

New England Chinese Duck Sauce Recipe



Sean always says that one of the things he misses most about New Hampshire is a sauce called "duck sauce," which is apparently ubiquitous in Chinese restaurants everywhere in the New England region. Mind you, until I visited New Hampshire and experienced the sauce for myself, I thought he was talking about that unpleasant, gooey and clear orange-colored sauce that resembled sweet-and-sour sauce, but no! New England Chinese Duck Sauce is something completely different, and is amazingly delicious. It is good on everything, and you can use it to cook any cuisine; it makes a wonderful dipping sauce, or marinade for your grill.

We spent quite a bit of time experimenting in the kitchen today, and finally perfected the recipe. Sean, being a native New Englander, got to take the final taste test and confirmed that the 6th formula (let's just say that we really did spend quite awhile in the kitchen!) was the most accurate one, in taste and appearance.

Without further ado, here is the recipe.

New England Chinese Duck Sauce 

Yields: 6 oz

5 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (make sure that there isn't any sugar or high fructose corn syrup added!)

3.5 teaspoons  of Dynasty-brand Plum Sauce (not Dynasty Golden Plum Sauce!)

1 teaspoon brown sugar

1 teaspoon molasses

1 teaspoon rice vinegar

A few sprinkles or grinds of sea salt

A few sprinkles of ground ginger

Directions: 

Over low heat, mix ingredients until they're hot and dissolved. Pour into a container and keep in the refrigerator. This will keep for awhile when kept cold in the fridge, but if you're anything like Sean, it won't last you that long!

Tammy and Sean

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy! Just found your blog as I was doing a web search for New England Duck Sauce. I can hardly wait to try your recipe. I love Chinese Food and the only restaurants I can get the dark sauce in is when I visit family in MA. I live on the seacoast in NH and all they serve is that horrible orange stuff!
    I also eat gluten free (except when eating Chinese)and am thrilled about your trying out your recipes for that too! I hope it is ok that I just pinned your duck sauce recipe. Love your blog and thanks for sharing...Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dorothy! I'm so glad you found this recipe. Like you, I had a tough time finding one that tasted like the duck sauce that I had in New England as well. I hope that it'll work out great for you! If you add a little sesame oil to it, you'll also get a nice Japanese teriyaki sauce as well. And, please feel free to share this on Pinterest!

      Delete